[ExI] self driving cars

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun May 20 06:31:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> spike (or maybe it was really someone else!) wrote:

Sorry to say, it was me, Kelly.

>> maybe even the computer could be smart enough to say, "These two people
>> really should talk, I'll arrange a ride for them, and even propose a
>> topic for discussion"... it could be a really good thing.
>
> This remark really made me blink.  And think.  And go pale.

Well, what I had in mind was knowing that person A was working on
software to solve problem B, and that Person C was working on a device
to solve problem D, and that there might be some kind of interesting
overlap... but rolling spam or porn is probably the more likely
outcome of such a system.

> What does "the computer could be smart enough to..." actually mean?
>
> I strongly suspect it means "the company that controls the software running on the computer wants to..."

Ya, that could be a real problem.

Any technology can be used for good or ill. Autonomous cars are likely
no exception.

So how will people meet serendipitously in the future?? Or must it all
be planned out?

-Kelly