[ExI] battle tanks to a five yr old

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun May 27 19:28:13 UTC 2012

On Sun, 6 May 2012, spike wrote:

> The times, they are a-changin.
>
> My five year old son saw a video with a battle tank, but he didn't know
> what it was called.  He vaguely understands what it is, but just didn't
> know the name.  I had never explained it to him.  He was trying to
> describe it, and finally called it a "war-car."
>
> War cars are definitely fading out of importance in his generation.
> When I was his age, we knew a lot about warfare I think.  I notice none
> of the neighborhood kids play battle of any sort now, no cowboys and
> Indians, no 'Muricans vs Commies, nothing of the kind.  It just occurred
> to me today their world is a lot freer of conflict than I recall of my
> own misspent childhood.  Dare we hope that armed conflict will gradually
> fade away?  Or will restrict itself to that part of the world which
> revels in that sort of thing?

"The postwar result for the Allies, at least, is suggested by one
returning Canadian soldier, wounded three times in Normandy and Holland,
who recalls (in Six War Years 1939-1945, edited by Barry Broadfoot)
disembarking with his buddies to find on the quay nice, smiling Red Cross
or Salvation Army girls.

 They give us a little bag and it has a couple of chocolate bars in it and
a comic book. . . . We had gone overseas not much more than children but
we were coming back, sure, let's face it, as killers. And they were still
treating us as children. Candy and comic books."

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/unbound/bookauth/battle/fussell.htm

IMHO, the men who were into war have their barriers off, and can accept
idea that killing some establishment may improve life of nation or their
neighbours or families. Moreover, they are able to do rather than
endlessly talk.

This, young man, is not going to be any more. Establishment is too
important for this planet. Therefore future civilisation is going to be a
civilisation of pussies, always happy and obedient, and politely smiling
while being fucked from behind.

You may not like my diagnosis, but to be frank, you never mentioned you
only wanted to read optimistic ones.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola