[ExI] battle tanks to a five yr old

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon May 28 02:09:20 UTC 2012

On Sun, 27 May 2012, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> On 27 May 2012 21:28, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
>
> > IMHO, the men who were into war have their barriers off, and can accept
> > idea that killing some establishment may improve life of nation or their
> > neighbours or families. Moreover, they are able to do rather than
> > endlessly talk.
> >

> One reason why in Europe a very large part of the revolutionary "right"
> and an almost as substantial chunk of the revolutionary "left" had more
> than mixed, meaning positive, feelings towards WWI, since they expected
> that the war, while fought by the old regimes and for the old regimes,
> would provide them with the troops they sorely needed to overthrow the
> old order of things.

There were some other guys claiming that "working masses" would unite and
prevent outbreak of WWI (or maybe they were saying this before WWII,
either way this did not make much visible difference).

As a XXI century man, I say that statistically, expecting large mass of
people to act uniformly toward any goal out of themselves is very very
unwise. To make such things happen, socio-pundits orchestrate big medial
efforts and direct huge sums into various places. And even this is not
100% effective.

At the same time, after troops went home, they indeed might have incited
changes, just not those that various experts predicted.

And, statistically, when large group of people comes from war, there must
(statistic "must") be some mad enough to engage in violence for whatever
reason they see right. With current tech, even small group can wreak havoc
on an unsuspecting city, say, a capital.

For a politician, good veteran is dead veteran. Living veteran is a
problem that needs to be mended. It doesn't look good, when police beats
vets on a street. But if they come home in black bags, this is very good
thing. They can make it into a film, you know. And dead will never
protest, whatever story you tell about them.

Hence the need to reduce number of vets in a future. At least alive ones.

Of course I don't expect changes are to be finalised during our lifetime.
Memory of what people were today need to be erased. This will require a
generation or two. And many many superproductions.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola