[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Thu May 31 07:45:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 May 2012 19:43, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think I draw the line at the beings that have some kind of central
>> nervous system and those that don't. I do not believe that amoebas
>> have anything approaching consciousness. Dogs, cats, yes. Maybe even
>> sea stars. And then you are at a quantitative difference, a huge one
>> to be sure... but without a brain, I don't know how you could claim
>> it.
>
> This sounds quite... kingdomist. Because it automatically discriminates all
> kinds of plants.

Maybe so. But I don't know of any plants that I would describe as
conscious either. Sorry.

There's probably something out there (if not today then in the future)
that has so much consciousness that they would consider us to not be
conscious... I suppose... but this argument isn't winnable, because
it's all conjecture and opinion anyway, isn't it?

-Kelly