[ExI] Gifted children

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 01:06:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM, James Clement <clementlawyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM, James Clement <clementlawyer at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > In the US,
>> > geniuses are identified very early on in school, and primed to work for
>> > the
>> > establishment (military Intel., NSA, high-tech defense contractors,
>> > etc.).
>>
>> This is laughably wrong.
>
> Since I know several families of gifted children whose schools, in different
> parts of the country, begin having "gov't" representatives give
> presentations, sponsor field trips, contests, summer camps, etc., I'm going
> to disagree with you on this.

Those things are scattershot, meant for everyone.  No
identification or selection of targets necessary.  Only the
contests come close to identification - and, more often
than not, the identification is never followed up on.  The
government lets candidates come to them, not vice versa.

Do you have specific examples to the contrary?  I am not
aware of any, despite living in the region of the US where
they would logically be most focused.

> BTW, I've been a MENSA member most of my adult life, so I'm aware of their
> programs also.

Second generation Mensan here.  Member since second
grade.  So this is also personal experience for me.