[ExI] Gifted children

James Clement clementlawyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 01:48:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Those things are scattershot, meant for everyone.  No
> identification or selection of targets necessary.  Only the
> contests come close to identification - and, more often
> than not, the identification is never followed up on.  The
> government lets candidates come to them, not vice versa.
>
> Do you have specific examples to the contrary?  I am not
> aware of any, despite living in the region of the US where
> they would logically be most focused.

As I have already mentioned, I know of several specific examples on
opposite ends of the Country. A friend of mine had a child in a large
city's gifted program and their kid, along with many classmates, were given
offers every year from grade school until graduation for all-expense paid
summer camps from each of the armed services, NSA, CIA, etc.  One year it
was Navy, another the Air Force, etc. These programs are exclusively for
geniuses. These kids are generally way above MENSA status (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Society for examples), although I would
assume that some of the smarter MENSA-level kids might make the cut off too.

James