[ExI] Gifted children

Sondre Bjellås sondre-list at bjellas.com
Wed Nov 7 09:25:08 UTC 2012

I have a general question regarding school, or the lack of school options:

We live in Norway and our daughter is still only 19+ months old, but we've
already started thinking about what we can do for her in regards to
schooling. Here in Norway, there are virtually no private alternatives
other than religious schools. The public schools are some of the worst in
the world and Norwegians score poorly in global tests.

Which country would be a good alternative where one would be able to get a
visa, permanent residency?

I consider myself a decently bright enough guy, but I've never had the
attention span to complete a real IQ test. I did an online test at Mensa
Norway a year ago, scored 101. I could probably do higher if I cared.

Neither me nor my wife consider ourselves gifted individuals, we're pretty
normal except for the fact that I'm a big computer geek and been
programming all my life.

Our daughter on the other hand, is showing incredible skills even at 19
months. I want to nurture her apparent lust for learning for as long as I
can, but my own skills in mathematics, physics, etc. is limited. I went
into working when I was 17, couldn't be bothered with school which didn't
teach me anything valuable or anything I couldn't learn better on my own.
But obviously, that means some of the more non-physical skills are missing
;-)

She have been using the iPad since she was 3 months old, for watching
movies. Now she plays a lot of games, and whenever she comes across any
device, she'll unlock it in a second and find her favorite apps and games.

We've decided that her mother will stay home for at least 2 years, I stayed
home for the first 8 months as well. The norm here in Norway is to put kids
in kinder-garden at 1 year of age, we felt that was to early and we thought
we could do better ourselves. Most kids in kinder-garden are constantly
sick, our daughter have been sick twice so far. I believe that hinders a
kids development.

I'm sorry for ranting on like this, but my concern is that she will be
extremely bored at school when she's 6 as I'm sure she will be ahead of the
average. Or, she might not, we love her anyhow! :-) Wouldn't want to
home-school her, she would be better off with lots of other kids around.
What would your suggestions be as parents on your own?

Kind regards,
Sondre

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM, MB <mbb386 at main.nc.us> wrote:

> Heh. My daughter was selected for such a university
> sponsored program. She went for a couple weeks (as I
> recall) to work with the super computers there at the
> university. It was a great honor.
>
> Unfortunately she was the only girl and they had her
> getting the soda pop and snacks, not working with the
> computer. She was very unhappy, but got over it when she
> was introduced to heavy petting.
>
> Shall we say I was not pleased?
>
> Regards,
> MB
>
> ps. My son was also selected for the gifted program in his
> school district. It consisted of being driven to another
> school one morning a week for a 1 hour program and then
> driven back to the home school.

Sondre Bjellås
http://www.sondreb.com/