[ExI] Conscientious objections

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 07:47:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki
<rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am human. My desires don't come into existence through the act of
> voting, therefore failure to vote does not remove me from the moral
> calculus ("right to object").

Your hypocrisy - refusing to take effective action to register your
objection - does come into existence that way.  This hypocrisy
removes the validity of your objection.

> I changed my mind. Voting legitimizes the state. I will have no
> voluntary involvement in that.

You choose to remain within the geographic boundaries the
state has sovereignty over.  That is your voluntary involvement.

If you truly wish to have no such involvement, then leave.  Your
presence legitimizes the state by proxy, no matter how much
you wish things were otherwise.

Want to put it to the test?  Try refusing to act in accordance
with the state's laws - in particular, refusing to pay income tax.
Quite a few people legitimize the state by winding up in its
prisons that way.