[ExI] bees again

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Sat Nov 17 14:50:44 UTC 2012

> Cool!  I was aware that Europeans brought honeybees to
> North America, but I
> didn't know that pumpkins depend on them for pollination.
> I should have
> been able to figure it out, since they have those big
> flowers.  This comment
> was posted on one of my bee groups:

spike, this doesn't make sense to me.  Pumpkins are native
to the North America - and so (IIUC) are cranberries, so
they have native pollinators.

There is a specific type of native bee that does pumpkins,
it's called the Squash Bee.

<http://twentypoundtabby.blogspot.com/2012/08/peponapis-pruinosa-probably-pollinated.html>

Regards,
MB