[ExI] bees again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Nov 17 15:48:16 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] bees again

>>... Cool!  I was aware that Europeans brought honeybees to North America,
> but I didn't know that pumpkins depend on them for pollination.
> I should have been able to figure it out, since they have those big
flowers.  This
> comment was posted on one of my bee groups:
>

>...spike, this doesn't make sense to me.  Pumpkins are native to the North
America - and so (IIUC) are cranberries, so
they have native pollinators.  There is a specific type of native bee that
does pumpkins,
it's called the Squash Bee.

<http://twentypoundtabby.blogspot.com/2012/08/peponapis-pruinosa-probably-po
llinated.html>

Regards,
MB

Cool thanks MB,  myth busted!  Any article that uses alliteration like that
must be true: Peponalis prininosa probably pollinated pilgrims' pie pumpkins
perfectly.