[ExI] Why space tech isn't cutting edge

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Mon Nov 19 17:07:53 UTC 2012

Thanks for this, all you rocket scientists, as that really helps understand
this issue.

What troubles me, is why is medical technology even worse?  For example, I
have an insulin pump (artificial pancreas) because I’m a type 1
diabetic.  Since
this technology is far more than 10 years old, it is basically killing me,
compared to what it could be.  Instead of having an android app, that
displays the information on my nice new 720P resolution color smart phone,
it attempts to display it on a 64 x 128 pixel black and white LCD display,
that is basically technology from the 80s.  And this is only one of a
gazillion things that are killing me, compared to what it could be.

The other thing is, the crude monitoring system isn’t connected to the
insulin delivery system – i.e. no automated control.  So I have to do
everything myself – including making mistakes – that could kill me.  The
manufactures of the device could clearly lesson this risk, but of course,
such would expose them to risk of being sued – so they completely avoid
anything like that.  So, their basically happy to let me make mistakes and
destroy my life, as long as they aren’t providing anything that would
expose them to any risk.

In other words, they are way behind both technologically and legally, in
the medical field, and this completely sucks!!  Oh that I could jail break
this effing system, and make it do what I want, instead of the way it is
programmed, so the manufacture has no risk, even though it destroys my life.

Brent Allsop