[ExI] Why space tech isn't cutting edge

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 18:04:59 UTC 2012

On Monday, November 19, 2012 12:02 PM BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Dan wrote:
>> Why is this news? I thought it was widely known that electronics on space
>> missions is always several years behind what's being done elsewhere.
>
> It is not just several years. It's more like 15 years behind.
> You would expect long duration space missions to be several years
> behind, but that's not the point.

My point was, as some seem to have missed, that this should not be news. It should not, especially, be news amongst subscribers to this list.

I understand why or the reasons offered for chips in space lagging what's available one Earth. I just thought this would be part of the gk [general knowledge] of most techies.

Regards,

Dan