[ExI] Vegetative patient free of pain

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 22:58:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, and I am with you here. One point however that regularly escape the
> libertarian approach is "freedom to do what?". If I am not legally or
> violently coerced, the non-secondary issue remains of what my "sovereign"
> personal choices and preferences are or should be.

It's not libertarianism's job to tell you what to do. If you're
looking for moral guidance, look elsewhere.

> To say that they should
> be "free" is of little guidance as to their merits, and the cultural and
> social norms that inspire them. For instance, I may respect the "freedom" of
> somebody to devote all of its energies to the Invisibile Pink Unicorn cult
> to the detriment of any other possible goal, but I cannot say that I
> approve, condone or encourage that choice.

You don't have to approve, condone, or encourage other people's
choices, you just have to let them do what they think is right as long
they aren't preventing anyone else from exercising the same rights. If
they *want* your approval, for some reason, they're free to seek it,
of course.

-Dave