[ExI] Religions are not the ultimate cause of war

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Oct 1 20:36:19 UTC 2012

On 01/10/2012 21:05, Charlie Stross wrote:
> You seem to have missed "the human concept of  "god" is a cognitive processing error -- we observe random events and are prone to ascribe them to purposeful behaviour, and our theory of mine then back-projects a conscious intelligence behind it".
>
> In other words, *not* "there is no God" but "the concept of God is a cognitive malfunction".

I wonder how common this malfunction would be across intelligent
species. Naturally evolved intelligent technological species are
probably (?) mostly social species (since that way you can cheaply get
more intelligence and cumulative cultural capital - it is hard to build
a technological civilisation from loners). They would hence also likely
have a lot of social cognition hardware, including agency detectors. So
that would likely make a fair number of them share our delusional style.
However, it is not entirely obvious that there might be social species
with agency detectors that fail more in the other direction and they
hence tend to assume only some purposeful behaviors are due to
fellows... probably a somewhat sociopathic bunch, anyway.

In the case of non-evolved species anything goes. On one hand the first
generation would likely be created by an evolved species that might have
views on their cognition, likely biasing it to be similar to theirs. But
they would likely have potential to quickly evolve whatever agency
detection they found useful ("the sign of purposeful behavior is that
the origin metadata is signed by the public key of something listed in
the intelligent person database!") So there could be both naturally
atheist and religious artificial species... and likely
religion-equivalent cognitive quirks that are far more bizarre to our
perspective. Besides the obvious awareness of who the creators were. ("I
am communing with the Creator every Tuesday. I mostly send him spam!")

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute