[ExI] riots again

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Thu Oct 4 20:40:14 UTC 2012

On 10/04/2012 09:43 AM, John Clark wrote:

> Yes. The government in Afghanistan has been brutal and corrupt since....
> since forever, nobody thought that was going to change anytime soon, but
> in the immediate aftermath of 911 many, including me, thought that
> replacing a brutal and corrupt administration that was openly protecting
> Osama bin Laden with a brutal and corrupt administration that was not
> was a noble thing to do. And it is just untenable to expect the USA to
> allow Osama bin Laden and the Taliban to thumb his nose at them
> indefinitely.

And the "many people" who thought that invading Afghanistan was a good
idea have been shown to be wrong.  Decade after decade the USA has gone
messing around in that part of the world causing all kinds of problems
and getting a lot of people angry.  Then the politicians are shocked,
shocked that a few people decide that terrorism is the best path.  The
level of mendacity and hubris associated with this entire Afghanistan
fiasco is appalling.

According to this story even some politicians are beginning to have
second thoughts:
http://reason.com/blog/2012/09/30/theres-something-really-wrong-with-whats

And of course when the USA finally does pull their troops out there will
still be unexploded bombs and shells from all sides which will probably
be a burden on the local populations for years to come.

Fred