[ExI] age of mockery

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Oct 17 02:41:03 UTC 2012

On 16/10/2012 16:48, spike wrote:
> ...You know, of course, that the UK doesn't have a First Amendment right...
> BillK, you lads should get one.  Actually you need some second amendment
> rights before you have a chance at having some first amendment rights.

We need a constitution first. Maybe we should humbly beg Her Majesty for
an update on Magna Carta...

The proper thing to do in response to the age of mockery is of course to
mock the mindset behind it mercilessly. Not the faith, that is beside
the point, but the view that there are ideas that that should not be
allowed to be expressed because somebody might be upset. We could start
by criticising the Muslims for mocking the pre-islamic religions. Then
we should point out that their criticism of mockery outrages many
liberal-minded westerners and hence should stop.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute