[ExI] Bruce Klein

Kevin G Haskell kgh1kgh2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 07:39:19 UTC 2012

On Oct 27, 2012, Natasha Vita-More quoted "David" as having written:

"David wrote:

>Pulling back, across the years we've seen dubious conduct from people who
were for a time integral members of our community or simply crossed our
paths.
>Some of whom reached mainstream prominence. Whose intersection with us can
be discerned by a Google search. (I have several names in mind. Which,
>were I to enumerate, would put this message into those search results.)

>The answer, I suppose, is to grow to sufficient numbers that we are not
tarnished by the actions of any one person, however notorious. But history
has shown
>where even a movement of millions was considered suspect because of one or
two people."

Natasha replied:

"I am saddened by Bruce's situation, and feel deeply for his family.

There have been seen several others known to us in the transhumanist
community who have meltdowns.  Many of us have a family member or friend who
suffers from psychosis or addictive behaviors and know how distressing and
damaging it can be.

Having worked at the Home for Incurables, I witnessed many types of
psychological and physiological issues that were disturbing; yet,  I saw
those who are sweet and kind regardless of their situation. Where it becomes
extremely uncomfortable is when a person's behavior is vindictive - and I
have witnessed this as well.  In a state of psychosis, the person may not be
responsible for this behavior; but who is to know.  Which is the real
person? The one who is manic and vindictive or the one who is on meds?

One of the hardest things to do is to pull back when a person is being
psychologically (intentionally) hurtful and out of line with reality (as it
suggested by sociologists and psychologists, etc.).  It does no one good to
feed the illness with avoiding it or being blind to it. Here a co-dependency
doubles the problem of the person who suffers, rather than actually helping
the person.

Anyway, this is a topic close friends and I have discussed with sincere
concern and it is one that I have no answers for yet.

Natasha"

On Oct 26, 2012 Bryan Bishop quoted David Lubkin as having written:

"I'm not sure what the backstory is, but this is disturbing.

I think the stolen money from singinst is more disturbing. In comparison,
this was harmless fun."

On Oct. 27, Natasha replied to Bryan Bishop:

"Don't you mean stolen money from the Singularity University?"

Later that same day, Bryan Bishop replied:

"No, I am not aware of that story. Someone also corrected me that Bruce
wasn't entirely at fault for the SIAI mishap/story, although he was
definitely involved.

-Bryan"

On Oct. 28, 2012, Florent Berthet wrote:

"Could we have more info on that? It may be a sensitive subject to talk
about but it's very important. If Bruce wasn't the only one involved
in this story, I'd like to know about that."

For those of us who don't have any idea what happened, and based on
the fact that the Singularity Summit is coming up very soon, can someone
please explain, from the start, what has happened regarding:

1.) Bruce Klein, what happened to him, what he has been accused of doing?
2.) Reported theft at the SIAI "or" Sing. U. (i.e, did the wrongdoing
happen at one, or both?)
3.) Other people that may be involved in wrongdoing along at either/both
the SIAI or Sing. U.?
4.) Any other related information that should be available?

If there has been criminal behavior or accusations about anyone regarding
the operations
and funding at the SIAI or Sing. U., I'm sure I speak for quite a few
people when wanting
to know what is going on and for it to be in the open.

Can anybody provide the story and information for the rest of us out here.
It would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

-Kevin