[ExI] ethics vs intelligence, RE: Fermi Paradox and Transcension

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Sep 11 20:13:18 UTC 2012

>> But yes, I am inclined to concede that as a stupid human is less
>> likely to see a blatant contradiction than a clever one...

> I doubt that. A stupid human is more likely to see certain actions as just
plain 'wrong'. ...

Heh.  All ethical dilemmas seem to pale in comparison to those presented to
the families of Alzheimer's patients.

For instance, imagine an AD patient who seems partially OK some mornings for
the most part, but nearly every afternoon and evening tends to grow more and
more agitated, confused, lost, terrified, angry, worried, combative, clearly
not enjoying life.  But the patient sometimes has a good day, and on those
occasions clearly states a preference to stay in their own home until there
is nothing left of the brain.  When is it time to check the patient into
elder care?

Easy, right?  OK what if the patient's spouse is doing something wrong in
the medication, such as giving the patient large doses of useless vitamins,
on pure faith since Paul Harvey said they are good for this or that?  What
if you come to suspect the patient is receiving sleep aids in the middle of
the day, and the rest of the family doesn't know?  What is the right thing
to do there?  Ignore one's own suspicion and go along, knowing that if a
patient is suffering, well hell, it isn't suffering to be asleep, ja?
Apparently AD doesn't hurt in the sense that it causes pain, so it doesn't
keep one awake as something like arthritis would, but the suffering is real.
If a spouse decided the person is better off sleeping most of the time, is
it appropriate to second-guess that spouse?  Come on extro-ethics hipsters,
think hard, suggest the right answers, and while you are at it, do again
make the case that ethical behavior and intelligence are related please?
And if you answer that one, please try to convince me that a machine-based
super-intelligence will be super ethical, and if you succeed at either of
those, I will feel much better thanks.