[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 17:11:25 UTC 2012

On 13 September 2012 19:07, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> There is no reason to think other kinds of useful minds would not have
> different ratios. A more naturally multitasking mind might have a
> hierarchical structure of smaller, somewhat localised subsystems and a
> slower less local supersystem. This could continue several levels, producing
> a slow (compared to the smallest scale processors) broad mind/society.
> Incidentally, this is why I am not entirely convinced about the "fast
> procesisng implies distances get too large for communications" argument -
> top-level entities might be so slow that they find the universe small.

A much more articulate way to express exactly my point.

Folding at Home is no less a (virtual) computer because it has an
enormous latency and dramatically limited bandwith if I compare it
with, say, the subsystem composed by my main processor and its cache
in the PC I am using right now.

--
Stefano Vaj