[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Sep 15 20:09:48 UTC 2012

On 15/09/2012 17:42, BillK wrote:
> Now, if he is expecting all this in only ten years..... what will be
> possible by the time Mbrains come along? They might not even need to
> be near the sun at all.

Thermodynamics puts a limit to how little energy dissipative
computations require: you need to pay kTln(2) Joule per erased bit.
Reversible computations can do things more cheaply, but you typically
need to slow down - and error correction still requires power.

> If they are orbiting further out, then heating and cooling might be
> negligible. And smaller nodes will be more powerful. A DVD sized disk
> might be a whole Mbrain civilisation.

A 3 K disk is just a hundred times more effective than a 300 K disk.
Maybe it is more effective to use a lot of energy to cool the computers
rather than do the computation? Hmm, I suspect not, but I am not a
thermal wizard.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute