[ExI] Fermi Paradox and Transcension

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Sep 17 02:18:18 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK

>>... Note this isn't Rober't vision of an MBrain.  I never could convince
him that we can't really capture all the star's energy, or even most of it.

Perhaps the future Mbrain processors will need very little of the sun's
energy and be much more compute capable than just basic processors...
See:
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/136043-intel-predicts-ubiquitous-almos
t-zero-energy-computing-by-2020>

>...Now, if he is expecting all this in only ten years...BillK

Cool thanks BillK.  What I want us to do is stop waiting for nanoSanta and
ponder what we can do with current technology.  At some point, it is logical
to do that.  Think low power processors and control systems, estimate or
calculate what your system level requirements will be.  We can, with current
technology, create very small autonomous nodes.  I clearly recognize we
can't make enough of them to be anything like an MBrain, but we can make
nodes, a few thousand perhaps.  Then we launch them in a cubesat package,
see if they can stabilize themselves and fly in formation.  That looks to me
like where we are today, the point where we can use current processors and
current control system technology.