[ExI] riots again

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 17:05:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012  Charlie Stross <charlie.stross at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm accusing you of arguing in ill-faith. Straw man positions ascribed to
> your opponents, cherry-picked extracts from someone else's religious texts
> ... I've seen this before. If we replace "muslim" with "jew" in your
> previous screed, and replaced the surahs with talmudic extracts, you'd be a
> dead ringer for Joseph Goebbels' Reich Ministry of Propaganda, i.e. it'd be
> obvious that you were blatantly, axe-grindingly anti-semitic. But switch to
> a different religious target and folks give you a free pass. You're
> disgusting.

It's an interesting phenomena, there is a certain breed of liberal out
there that feels it is his moral obligation to defend the actions of any
religion no matter how outrageous, provided it is not  one of the primary
religions of ones own culture; and to defend the actions of any government
no matter how evil, provided it is not his own government. I'm not certain
of the cause of this effect, but I suspect it has something to do with
making the poor boob feel broad minded and cosmopolitan.

  John K Clark