[ExI] The coming meme wars

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Sep 29 18:41:15 UTC 2012

On 29/09/2012 18:47, Charlie Stross wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2012, at 14:42, David Lubkin<lubkin at unreasonable.com>  wrote:
>
> I see how this could be very useful, but I keep flashing to Stephen
> Baxter's One True.
> John Barnes, surely?

My thought too. Slightly misleading subject.

A nifty idea, though. A bit like the mcguffin in my "Death of the
dragons" setting where the aliens who originally seeded life on Earth 4
billion years ago used it as a biological internet. The real
civilisation is still down there in the lithoautothropic zone, slow and
huge - the surface biosphere is just some random devolved stuff.

I wonder if something like this could be used to do on-the-fly gene
therapy in organisms. Of course they have to be prepared with the right
sender and receiver infrastructure in the genome, but that seems doable.

So maybe we can get gene hacking wars. One morning you all wake up with
fluorescent oxytocin producing crosses on your foreheads...

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute