[ExI] The power of memes was riots again

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 15:34:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 5:00 AM,  John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012  Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> and he spelled them out: Islam under attack
>
> Under attack by cartoons and YouTube videos. In May of this year a American
> soldier went nuts and murdered 16 Afghan civilians, the surprising response
> can only be described as tepid, a very few mild demonstrations against it
> but nobody got killed or even hurt. A month before that U.S. troops
> inadvertently burned a Koran and the resulting huge riots killed 40 people
> and injured hundreds. Mullah Khaliq Dad, who was on the religious counsel
> investigating the Koran burning seemed genuinely puzzled and downright
> incredulous that westerners would find the disparity in outrage a little
> odd. Of course he was angry at the question too but that means nothing,
> Muslims are always angry, that's the only thing they're good at. Anyway
> this is what Mullah Khaliq Dad had to say, and remember that this is a man
> Muslims consider to be wise:
>
> "How can you compare the dishonoring of the Holy Koran with the martyrdom
> of innocent civilians? The whole goal of our life is religion."
>
> When they spell out how Islam is "under attack" its clear that they're
> talking about cartoons and YouTube videos not drone attacks and mass
> murder.

The function of xenophobic (religious) memes is to sync up people to
fight other people, but at times even I am amazed.

As a prediction, I would say there is a good chance that the
Christians in Egypt are in a situation close to that of the Jews in
the early days of Nazi Germany.

It's possible, with enough bad luck, that that other religions might
become this sensitive.

Keith