[ExI] Bitcoin

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Apr 11 12:08:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:46:05AM +0200, Alfio Puglisi wrote:
> By the way, I find this thread quite instructive:
>
>  "Let's add up the KNOWN lost bitcoins"
>
> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7253.0
>
> Some huge losses out there. It appears that the private key approach can be
> highly unintuitive even for technical people.

Have you ever lost your real wallet, or had money stolen?
It appears that the money thing can be highly unintuitive
even for nontechnical people.

Seriously, you can print out wallets, on paper.

http://localbitcoins.blogspot.fi/2012/11/start-your-own-money-press.html

Your wallet never has to be online, you can use external
tools (e.g. blockchain.info) to check its state.

If you use actual data wallets, encrypt them, back them up
on a number of data media, store them in a safe place.

You wouldn't carry 100 kUSD in your wallet on your person
all the time, would you?