[ExI] proto-bitcoin

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 04:40:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Why does that suck? It means that the original bitcoins will not be
> devalued
> > by later coins mined with more exotic equipment. There is also a limit on
> > how many coins total will ever be minted.
>
> In the sense that it takes increasing amounts of work to get less
> amount of coin.  I was also a little disappointed that the secret
> sauce wasn't more exotic math than you described.

I don't know the exact details of how it gets exotic. It might be from
multiple hashes of similar length strings, or some other approach... but
it's just described as a "difficulty" rating. I don't think it needs to be
overly complex to meet it's goals.

> Of course, you are correct:  you would want to build the system to
> anticipate investment in hardware solutions that trivialize even the
> best you can imagine in today's computation.

Yeah, and now that they are building hardware specific for bitcoin mining,
it could get very interesting. There is NO POINT whatsoever to trying to
mine bitcoin with a CPU these days.

-Kelly