[ExI] proto-bitcoin

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 01:45:14 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 07:49:19PM -0400, Mike Dougherty wrote:
>> Telekinesis enabled by thinking to the cloud-controlled utility fog?
>
> Here's a dirty little secret: there will never be utility fog,
> because it's a primitive, slow interface catering to species
> gone extinct.
>
> Or your could render whatever you want in your own private
> artificial reality, with no pesky neighbors and cheaper and
> quicker.

I'll give you the no utility fog.  And for most
whatever-we-call-people by then, virtual worlds will be so much easier
than worrying about the "real world" - but someone has to make sure
asteroid impacts aren't putting so much debris in the atmosphere that
we can't get solar energy, or destroying the power-collection grid
itself.  I mean, I'm pretty sure google keeps several copies of this
email... so I don't make my own backup of it.  However, if a complete
nuclear exchange wiped the rest of the computers from this planet - I
certainly don't expect to recover anything from archives.  ( yes, I
know I'd be gone.. that's not the point )

Even when everything has been virtualized / moved to the 'cloud' -
someone is still running physical machines, yeah?