[ExI] proto-bitcoin

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 22 11:20:36 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 09:45:14PM -0400, Mike Dougherty wrote:

> I'll give you the no utility fog.  And for most
> whatever-we-call-people by then, virtual worlds will be so much easier
> than worrying about the "real world" - but someone has to make sure

Do you worry much about your microbiome in charge of your
digestion? Rarely, I would imagine.

> asteroid impacts aren't putting so much debris in the atmosphere that
> we can't get solar energy, or destroying the power-collection grid
> itself.  I mean, I'm pretty sure google keeps several copies of this

Utility fog has serious deficiences due to the reconfigurability
requirement. The amount of wasted volume dedicated to navigation,
propulsion and relinking is considerable. It only makes sense
as a poor man's reconfigurable environment for meat puppets, and
falls short on about everything if there are none.

> email... so I don't make my own backup of it.  However, if a complete
> nuclear exchange wiped the rest of the computers from this planet - I
> certainly don't expect to recover anything from archives.  ( yes, I
> know I'd be gone.. that's not the point )
>
> Even when everything has been virtualized / moved to the 'cloud' -

Virtualization assumes shared resources, and saving and restoring
state. In case of provably optimal computers there is nothing shared,
so saving and restoring N bits of state requires twice the number
of hardware, and considerable delays.

Which means there will be no virtualization, and no cloud.

> someone is still running physical machines, yeah?

Nobody is running anything. No more than you are running your
body. You *are* your body. Nothing is going to change about that.