[ExI] Current uploading sales brochure?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Apr 23 08:44:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 01:11:12AM -0700, Gordon wrote:

> >> I'm glad to see that you're still
>  working on this project, Brent. I don't
> >> know if you remember me (I used to sign off as '-gts") but some years ago I
> >>took the position here that consciousness cannot be duplicated or created on
> >> digital computers, i.e., that digital uploading is impossible. I engaged in
>
> > Does that mean binary, or discrete? Would an analogue solid state system
> > qualify?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by binary or discrete, but I did not disqualify analogue solid state systems.

Such a position would be inconsistent, then, as with
sufficient number of discrete states you could approximate
any continuum. In fact the human CNS makes use of analogue-like
processing for close ranges, and only switches to discrete
coding (spikes) when it has to signal across longer distances,
where signalling based on amplitude alone wouldn't work.

You see similiar approaches in modern hybrid systems for
neuromorphic processing

http://www.livescience.com/27907-neurogrid-brain-simulator-brain-awareness-nsf.html

This definitely makes sense, assuming you know which
specific function you're need to directly implement
in solid state. Unfortunately, we don't know that yet,
hence the need for all-purpose computers, which are
not efficient, but flexible.

Once we know, we can build dedicated hardware for
that purpose, which will be dramatically faster and
dramatically more energy-efficient.

> >> a lengthy debate about it. Some important voices here gave me a lot of grief
> > >(I was even called a "troll") so I left for another venue.
>
> It was in fact you, Eugen, who called me a troll back in about 2008 or so. That was painful, as I consider you a leader here on ExI. I've been around here since about 2000.

Please accept my apologies. Sometimes, I'm an idiot.