[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 20:34:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Brent Allsop <brent.allsop at canonizer.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> The old problem of telling whether another person is conscious in the
>> same way you are is also an outstanding problem in my mind.
>>

> The emerging expert consensus is predicting, falsifiably so, exactly how
> we can 'eff' our way out of this.  The expert consensus says that when you
> are looking at a strawberry patch, with a strawberry in your right field of
> vision, and a leaf in your left, there is something in your left hemisphere
> that is your knowledge of the strawberry, and something in your right
> hemisphere that is your knowledge of the leaf.
>
> Your knowledge of the leaf, has a greenness quality to it, and, and your
> knowledge of the strawberry, has a redness quality to it.  So, obviously,
> we simply need to find the necessary and sufficient causal properties, that
> are the correlate to, or causal properties of, these redness and greenness
> qualities.  Then if you see these causal properties of knowledge, inverted
> in someone else, you know they have, whether designed that way or not,
> inverted quale from you.
>
> That's the 'weak' form of getting around the quale interpretation problem,
> or effing of the ineffable.  Surely, the corpus Callosum is some how
> joining these two hemispheres of knowledge, together, so you can be aware
> of the redness, and the greenness, at the same time, and know absolutely,
> more than  you know anything, how they are qualitatively different.  The
> next obvious step, is to design it so our brains can be merged together,
> just like two hemispheres can be hooked together, so both minds can be
> aware of the exact same knowledge, and it's correlated experiential
> qualities so both minds would then be experiencing - in a way that everyone
> would know, as surely what they are like.  and that's the strong form of
> effing the ineffable.
>
> Brent Allsop

Brent, I've read your descriptions in this area before. I like you as a
human being. I truly do. And I try REALLY hard to understand what you are
saying every time. I really do. But for some reason, my brain can't
translate what you say on this subject into any sort of coherence. I guess
what I can say is that I don't know what the ef you are talking about. I'm
sure the problem is totally in my brain, not yours.

-Kelly