[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Apr 26 06:39:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 02:24:16PM -0600, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> > likely that billionaire psychopaths will be first. And they will set
> > about consolidating their virtual power empire before the competition
> > arrives.
> >

> Certainly that is a possibility. However, I would guess the first uploads
> would be some generic plebe or crazy transhumanist working at MIT. It's a
> risky proposition.

Since it's going to be a destructive scan postmortem, and a Very Large
Supercomputer as a target the chances for "crazy transhumanist" or
"generic plebe" are pretty much nil.

This won't come out of the blue, so there will be a succession
of animal models leading up to full human scale emulation.
The need to push the envelope will make it extremely expensive
initially (think multiple MUSD/year just for juice).