[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 26 06:42:45 UTC 2013

Stathis,

>  My point was that if [the homunculous problem] is not a problem for the brain
>  it is not a problem for a computer that replaces the brain. Whys should it be?

Strong AI and uploading on digital computers might be possible if the computational model of mind (aka computationalism) is a legitimate theory about how the brain/mind works. The homunculous problem is just another reason why I think it is false.

I think computationalism  is no more than wishful thinking. I consider digital computers unconscious mechanical tools for doing calculations. I cannot imagine any mechanical upgrade, or any fancy programming, that would make my digital computer any more than a very useful slide rule.

-Gordon