[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Apr 26 06:55:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:42:45PM -0700, Gordon wrote:
> Stathis,
>
> >  My point was that if [the homunculous problem] is not a problem for the brain
> >  it is not a problem for a computer that replaces the brain. Whys should it be?
>
> Strong AI and uploading on digital computers might be possible if the computational model of mind (aka computationalism) is a legitimate theory about how the brain/mind works. The homunculous problem is just another reason why I think it is false.

We used to have the vitalism problem, and the phlogiston problem.
All of these problems turned out to be strictly in the head.

> I think computationalism  is no more than wishful thinking. I consider digital computers unconscious mechanical tools for doing calculations. I cannot imagine any mechanical upgrade, or any fancy programming, that would make my digital computer any more than a very useful slide rule.

Substitute the words "digital computer" with "neurons", and the
result is equally wrong or right.

You're iterating opinions, and refer to unsubstatiated
superstitions from philosophy. This is no way to conduct an argument.