[ExI] Bitcoin

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 28 07:43:13 UTC 2013

Those of us following the Bitcoin market know that DDoS attacks on the exchanges are a problem. Some even say a DDoS attack at Mt.Gox triggered that massive correction a couple of weeks ago.

What if they all went down?

What if all the bitcoin exchanges were shut down?

http://rt.com/op-edge/if-bitcoin-exchanges-shut-down-518/

On a related subject, I wonder who is behind the DDoS attacks. Some of my conspiracy-minded friends think banks or governments are behind it, but I rather doubt that. Bitcoin is still only a negligible player in the world economy. I've heard another theory that the attackers are trying to push prices down in order to buy low and sell high after they stop the attacks, but I'm not sure that makes sense, either. Why would someone who is fundamentally bullish on bitcoins try to hurt the credibility of the market?

Who is attacking Bitcoin, and why?

-Gordon