[ExI] Digital Consciousness .

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 03:44:33 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Gordon <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Most of us here have probably heard of John Searle's famous (or infamous,
> depending on your point of view) Chinese Room If the brain is not
> intrinsically like a digital computer operating according to syntactical
> rules of a program then for what reason to do we think we can make a
> conscious brain on a digital computer? It seems to me that to make a
> conscious brain, we must do something much closer to what nature has done.

Gordon, Maybe you are having trouble thinking that a serial implementation
on a Von Neumann architecture can be conscious. I don't limit computer
architecture to that, and indeed, a functional brain implemented in silicon
is likely to have a huge number of CPUs just like the real brain. There is
probably something about the timing of the brain function that would be
difficult to fully implement on today's hardware architectures, especially
in anything like real time. But computer architectures will evolve. Does
that change your feeling on the subject at all?

-Kelly