[ExI] Whatever happened to peak oil by 2020?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Apr 29 05:18:07 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 05:15:05PM -0400, Peter E McAlpine wrote:
> Forget "peak oil" until all government hindrance of exploration and drilling
> is ended.

Peak oil was 2006. Peak total fossil and nuclear fuel and is 2020.
Look at the well drill rate and well decay rate for unconventional
oil and gas (~40%/year), look at the rising costs, dropping EROEI
and draw your own conclusions.

Hint: "government hindrance" has zero squat to do with why this
thing will be over shortly. If there is no plan B I'm afraid
you'll be hurting plenty, soon.