[ExI] lavabit.com takedown

Michael DeVault me at michaeldevault.com
Thu Aug 8 21:57:28 UTC 2013

Just saw the news release about lavabit, a 'secure' mail service favored by people in the securities business and hacking communities.The founder, Ladar Levison, stated he took it down the service rather than comply with what he feels are unconstitutional demands based on laws passed by the U.S. Congress.

I have thoughts, though they aren't fully formed, about this kind of reaction. Also, I have questions: if he's being asked to comply with notices for emails and/or customer data, wouldn't that information still exist in absence of the email service's continued operations?

Did anyone here have (well, had) a lavabit address? If so, what are your thoughts?

Also, what about Levison's recommendation that individuals avoid trusting personal data to any company with a physical tie to America?

md