[ExI] [FoRK] On the Phenomenon of Bullshit Jobs

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 08:13:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:57 AM,  dan wrote:
> I am two things, a security geek in an investment firm and a farmer.
>
> Security geek: Truthfully, cybersecurity is the most intellectually
> difficult job on the planet but, just as truthfully, success means
> that nothing happens.  That's the point: nothing happening is the
> actual work product.  Does that qualify as bullshit?

Depends on your POV. The problem is that nothing happening is a
success for you, but everybody else (including management) thinks you
do nothing all day. Come annual review time, your achievements are
'Nothing happened'.
So you have ruined your career.

Management reviews much prefer exciting people who have mini
disasters, saved in the nick of time by working all night
and weekends, with lots of crisis meetings, threats of doom and
miraculous rescues. That's the way to become a corporate tech wizard.

BillK