[ExI] [FoRK] On the Phenomenon of Bullshit Jobs

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Thu Aug 22 01:57:58 UTC 2013

[ only a member of FoRK so cross posting will doubtless fail ]

I am two things, a security geek in an investment firm and a farmer.

Security geek: Truthfully, cybersecurity is the most intellectually
difficult job on the planet but, just as truthfully, success means
that nothing happens.  That's the point: nothing happening is the
actual work product.  Does that qualify as bullshit?

Farmer: Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and overwhelmed by regulations
courtesy of factitious non-farmers in Hugo Boss suits, and subject
to risk events whose dynamic range is wider than those of cybersecurity.
The work product is on the plate in the finest restaurants in my state.
I am ankle deep in real bullshit every single day.

I work 90 hours a week.  And am happy.

--dan