[ExI] far future

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Dec 31 09:34:41 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-31 03:18, Nuala Thomson wrote:
> What of the people who convince themselves of a particular thought that
> is not normal for the collective?

This is a general problem for societies with editable minds and
individual freedom. How do you even tell if somebody has made themselves
crazy?

The fact that something is maladaptive for a normal life (a good
everyday definition of sick) doesn't necessarily apply. Somebody can
edit out a big chunk of things we normally think are essential (say,
love, language or pleasure), and make themselves think that this is a
great state - and it might indeed give them some weird reward outsiders
cannot even fathom. Just consider people spending years in anguish for
something they consider to be holy: the Dark Night of the Soul is likely
a fairly well-defined very unpleasant neuropsychological state, yet the
people pursuing spirituality often persist through it because they think
they are doing the Right Thing.

One approach is of course to let people turn themselves into strange
things. There is a poignant and disturbing past plot thread in John C.
Wright's "The Golden Age" about a person going under thanks to unwise
and self-reinforcing self-editing.

Another approach I have used in some of my fictional settings is that
authorities are allowed to audit minds. Occasionally the mind police
come by, reset your mind to a somewhat standard neutral state, and allow
you to consider whether you want to continue to be what you were for the
past months. If you still do, you can get back to it. Otherwise you now
have a chance to change.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute