[ExI] Even more HCI

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Feb 3 15:31:02 UTC 2013

For what it's worth, I have stumbled upon this cathegory page on
wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:History_of_human–computer_interaction

There seems to be quite a few old ideas, which not necessarilly had been
realised to the fullest. Like Alan Kay's Dynabook:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynabook

I think in the past it was a given that computer came with some means to
create software (the exact form of this functionality could differ but the
important thing is, computer can change the way it operates in more
radical way than flipping background picture). Nowadays the only given is
a browser, I would say. Javascript in a browser is not given, so even this
very bleak way of customizing behaviour cannot be counted on. I could give
a name of a device, maybe two, which are close to useless because of this,
even thou mainstream delights itself with new versions of it (now it is 5
or something).

In other words, one could argue that longterm, computer will change into
some kind of interactive tv. I.e., useless. Life is not about
entertainment. Not mine. I am not a bonobo.

Anyway, here is a link to interview with Alan Kay:

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1039523

I think it is worth a while, even for those who don't program.

Some musings on Dynabook:

http://openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2003/04/03/alan_kay.html

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/computing-and-ict/information-and-communication-technologies/why-the-iphone-makes-2008-seem-1968-all-ov

BTW, if I ever had any wish to switch into full graphical mode and stay
there, it was because of Squeak, a Smalltalk implementation. I guess it is
interesting both as programming environment and as a way to try new
things, so perhaps the knowledge of its existence should be spread more.

Other than Squeak or something like this, all those graphical stuff is not
worth the pain of using it. I mean mostly MS Windows but I guess (without
trying) MacOS fits well, too.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola