[ExI] Let's stop lowering our IQs.

Dan Ust dan_ust at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 02:54:14 UTC 2013

On Feb 3, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM, J.R. Jones <mrjones2020 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The toothpaste tube says not to swallow the stuff, how is it
>> supposed to be safe in drinking water?  Because of low amounts?  BS.  I'm
>> tired of that argument.  "safe levels" my rear.
> ### You think that it is not valid to claim there are safe levels of a
> substance that is toxic at other, usually higher levels? Once a
> poison, always a poison?

Just as many toxins don't have a linear response, they also don't have a dose independent response. In some cases, a little bit of a toxin might be far less harmful if not even beneficial, since the response mechanism is not overwhelmed. Think of oxygen, for instance. Seriously toxic, but try living without it right now.

But also think of the huge number of other toxins you're immersed and bathed in everyday. You don't necessarily experience much harm from them. Still, no reason to intentionally add a known toxin and extremely active substance into the water supply. (Even in the case of chlorine, it's great for killing pathogens, but it's probably better not to be drinking and breathing it because one has it in the water supply one drinks and bathes with.)



More information about the extropy-chat mailing list