[ExI] 2^57885161-1

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 12 11:31:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 01:48:15PM -0800, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Way too much that can go wrong with that.  For one, those who have the
> capability to follow technical instructions at that level, also tend to have the
> capability and motivation to shut things down if the assembled things go

Right, just as there is no malware on the Internet. Absolutely none.
We can deal with threats created by bored terrestrial teenagers
and contain them. That 1/3rd to 2/3rd of all systems are under
somebody's elses control with their owners being none the wiser
is pure fantasy.

> out of control - potential to make the things mindless, and thus unable to

Advanced cultures can't engineer emergence. I mean it's obvious: we can't,
so nobody else can possibly do it. Same thing with DIY aliens, aka
AI containment. Regardless how smart, we can contain them.