[ExI] 2^57885161-1

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 11:53:48 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
> Right, just as there is no malware on the Internet. Absolutely none.
> We can deal with threats created by bored terrestrial teenagers
> and contain them. That 1/3rd to 2/3rd of all systems are under
> somebody's elses control with their owners being none the wiser
> is pure fantasy.
> Advanced cultures can't engineer emergence. I mean it's obvious: we can't,
> so nobody else can possibly do it. Same thing with DIY aliens, aka
> AI containment. Regardless how smart, we can contain them.

Yup.  I was going to say, How can we expect aliens from light years
away to send instructions in Mandarin that we can understand?  The
alien intelligence level required to understand our civilisation to
that extent is very high. If they can do that, they probably know much
better methods of invasion.

(Ignoring for the sake of discussion my expectation that advanced
intelligences don't do invasions. Or, at least not invasions like we
are used to. Can uplift be considered an invasion?).

BillK