[ExI] Dark matter

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:48:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:49 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> We can only see normal matter,
> about 17%. Dark matter makes up 83%, and it is heavy, because we can
> detect the gravitational effects. Then there is dark energy as well.
> It seems presumptuous to claim that an advanced civilisation would be
> unable to make use of either.

Every time I hear of "dark matter", I am reminded of a certain
Hubble telescope shot where they took a picture of a portion of
the starfield where there appeared to be nothing - and, lo and
behold, it was filled with stuff, you just had to look for it.

I wonder if "dark matter" is nothing more or less than stars,
rogue planets, and the like that we have yet failed to detect,
the properties of which are otherwise just like anything else
of their type.  Occam's Razor.

(Of course, one might also conjecture some of this dark
matter is Dyson-sphere-enclosed stars which, for stealth,
radiate their waste heat perpendicular to the galactic disk,
so anyone else in the galaxy wouldn't see them.)