[ExI] Dark matter

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:46:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> Every time I hear of "dark matter", I am reminded of a certain
> Hubble telescope shot where they took a picture of a portion of
> the starfield where there appeared to be nothing - and, lo and
> behold, it was filled with stuff, you just had to look for it.
>
> I wonder if "dark matter" is nothing more or less than stars,
> rogue planets, and the like that we have yet failed to detect,
> the properties of which are otherwise just like anything else
> of their type.  Occam's Razor.

You need six times as much 'dark' stuff as stuff we can see to make
the gravitational effects we can measure. That's a lot!

There is a new research report coming out in a few weeks that should
have useful data.
<http://www.space.com/19845-dark-matter-found-nasa-experiment.html>
Quote:
Some physics theories suggest that dark matter is made of WIMPS
(weakly interacting massive particles), a class of particles that are
their own antimatter partner particles. When matter and antimatter
partners meet, they annihilate each other, so if two WIMPs collided,
they would be destroyed, releasing a pair of daughter particles — an
electron and its antimatter counterpart, the positron, in the process.

I don't understand this theory. I didn't think any antimatter was left
in our old universe.

BillK