[ExI] Where are they? was Re: 2^57885161-1

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 23:39:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> We find the Great Silence to be unbelievable because if we were given
> lightspeed spaceships now, we would immediately set about polluting
> the galaxy. The thought that posthuman level civs might think that is
> a bad idea just cannot be allowed. Perhaps the Singularity is going to
> be a bigger change than anticipated.  ;)

Makes me think of an answer such that the "singularity" reduces this
space-time to a fixed-location in a higher dimensional existence.  The
only way to move in that context is to keep your footprint in our
space-time at imperceptible (to us) signatures.  Something analogous
to aerodynamics in a vehicle: you're probably never going to see a
box-truck moving at 450kph.  Maybe these extra-dimensional
conversations are happening with so much intensity that we don't
notice them?  ex: how aware are you of the 60hz (US) vibration around
you?  How aware of it are you when the power is out?  Did you even
know about Schumann Resonances or if you are affected by them?  How
much of "natural" vibrations are called such simply because they've
always been in our environment and we (incorrectly) attribute them to
causes without really understanding underlying meaning in them?
Supposedly (what do *I* know?) birds navigate by detecting the earth's
magnetic field, cows also stand in north-south orientation unless
interference caused by power lines confuses that tendency.  I don't
know, this may be another bit of the subtlety lost by a too-quick
departure from our biological/evolutionary substrate to machines that
seem in many ways sufficient, but the trade-off might be to lose some
sensation of these yet-indeterminate environmental 'noises'    ...
then again, that might be why we aren't sensing the post-uploaded.