[ExI] how large is a human mind?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 16:33:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> The 426 terabytes can certainly be compressed a bit.

Sure but it wouldn't be necessary, today the Staples store half a mile from
me is selling a 2 terabyte drive for $110, and the cost of hard disk
storage is falling even faster than Moore's law for microprocessors.

> The cost of storing and running a mind does not depend on absolute size
> but relative size and demand.

I'm not too worried about the cost of running a mind, if it's too expensive
now just wait a few years, I'm much more concerned about the cost of
obtaining that 426 terabytes from three pounds of human brain. But if the
brain can be preserved without significant information loss then all that
data doesn't need to be obtained with existing technology; so what I really
want to know is if freezing or chemical fixation is the best way to do this.

  John K Clark