[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jan 12 20:58:21 UTC 2013

On 12/01/2013 20:38, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> The story, after some additional poking, seems far from complete - in
> its current form, at least. It may hint that Germany had hit some kind
> of technological roadblock, which may have something to do with
> storing excess energy from green in power grid (which in this use is
> supposed to act as huge capacitor).

I mentioned this in a post on the list a while ago (search for my posts
on superconductor storage limits): the Czech had real problems with the
German electricity market fluctuating wildly with the weather. Negative
electricity prices are apparently hard to handle, especially if some
power companies want to suck up super-cheap energy for storage in Czech
water magazines for later resale. The east European power grids (and
probably not the western ones either) were not built for this kind of
rapid trading.

You don't need to add politics to the mix, but it certainly can make it
even more volatile.

Generally, energy markets seem to be a fine thing, except that demand
and supply fluctuate separately,  and there are hard limits on transfer
ability and how quickly production can be stepped up or down. That makes
the efficiency a bit iffy: the price feedback mechanism is too weak.
Planned energy markets instead run headlong into the information problem.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute