[ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jan 12 21:54:41 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
Subject: Re: [ExI] Wind, solar could provide 99.9% of ALL POWER by 2030

On 12/01/2013 20:38, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> ... something to do with
> storing excess energy from green in power grid (which in this use is
> supposed to act as huge capacitor).

>... The east European power grids (and probably not the western ones
either) were not built for this kind of rapid trading.

... -- Anders Sandberg,

This is the one of the biggest and most interesting problems from an
engineering point of view.  As we go into the future, we can see that some
of the contributors to the energy equation will be those which are peaky and
unreliable.  So load leveling will be what enables ground based solar and
wind power.  That opens up a whole new world of energy solutions such as
solar-driven coal to liquids, and coal to fertilizer cycles.  It will be fun
to design plants that can react quickly under fluctuating power.